Why would you do this? Well, because ... Windows 10 is not exactly discriminant about which devices it supports... To really work everywhere there are times when the V8 engine isn't going to work.
They're doing it right too. They're not creating a proprietary branch - a road you can't come back from. The newfound versatility they're putting into Node.js is on its way to being contributed right to the main project. That's why this Node.js thing is so awesome - because such a rich community is contributing to it.
- Node+Chakra Blog - http://aka.ms/node-chakra-annoucement-blog
- Installer for Node.js Tools for Windows IoT - https://github.com/ms-iot/ntvsiot/releases/tag/v1.1
- Node+Chakra on Github - https://github.com/Microsoft/node
- IoT Getting Started - http://aka.ms/iot-getstarted
- IoT Samples - http://aka.ms/iotsamples "
Node.js and io.js will officially merge codebases under a new entity: the ‘Node Foundation.’
A number of partners have come onboard to sponsor the new organization and help it stay independent, including Famous, IBM, Intel, Joyent, Microsoft and PayPal.