By using containers, Azure IoT Edge enables migration of functionality between "cloud" and "cloud edge". Original promise of Java, realized in a bit more generic way.
"IoT Edge provides easy orchestration between code and services, so they flow securely between cloud and edge to distribute intelligence across IoT devices."
"Extend cloud intelligence to edge devices
- Run artificial intelligence at the edge
- Perform edge analytics
- Deploy IoT solutions from cloud to edge
- Manage devices centrally from the cloud
- Operate with offline and intermittent connectivity
- Enable real-time decisions
- Connect new and legacy devices
- Reduce bandwidth costs"